Skip to main content

Organizing- The Bedroom Closet

When we built our house a few years ago, at the top of my short list of requests was my very own closet, I didn't want to share a bedroom closet with my husband. Our house plan showed a walk-in closet but I knew that would never work! I wanted my own space for my clothes and so did my husband. For some reason I can remain organized in all rooms of our house except for my closet. I have no idea what the problem is, but if you ask my mom, she would tell you I've always been that way. Well mom, I have finally conquered my messy closet syndrome! It's been 5 days - all is clean and tidy in the closet area!
For the past 4 years, I have wasted my money on purchased several organizing bins, space bags, shelves, totes, baskets, hanging bins, shoe organizers, etc., and still nothing worked, nothing was organized the way I envisioned it in my head. But over the weekend I had a revelation and decided that maybe I had too much stuff! So I revisited my Peter Walsh organizing book and started with 3 piles - keep, give away, and throw. And then the 3 important questions for each item, 1. does it fit me? 2. does it look good on me? 3. do I love it?  And you know how this goes, the answer has to be "yes" to  all 3 questions, then you can keep the item.
At the end of this I could lie and say 3 grueling 5 hour process I had 2 huge, somewhat overflowing, garbage bags of shoes and clothes for donating, 1 small bag for the trash, and I kept only the items (shoes, clothes, and jewelry) that I currently wear, hopefully look good on me, and that I love.
I removed 2 entire shelves from my closet, a hanging shoe bin, and 40 clothes hangers! And guess what? It felt great! I attached a hook behind the door for my robe, (yes I did say 1 robe no longer 3 robes). I kept my fabric bins and labeled them with recipe cards attached with a plastic clothes pin - thanks for that idea Angie, this is so I can switch the labels without ruining the fabric on the bins. Now I don't have to keep dragging out a stool to take the bins off the top shelf to see what's in them. They are still on the top shelf because they are seasonal items or things I don't use on a regular basis. I decided to limit my number of shoes to 1 basket, this was not easy because I love love love shoes! I chose my favorite shoes to place in the basket first and decided that any shoes left over were off to the donate pile. I tucked my huge glass change jar (fun money) in the corner so it's out of the way and moved my standing mirror to the other corner (rather than in our bedroom). As I stood in the doorway of my "new" closet I took a deep breath and finally felt free from all of that "stuff".
 

Happy organizing!
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa