Skip to main content

Homemade Yogurt

Do you know there are about a gazillion recipes for homemade yogurt? It may seem scary at first or complicated but once you make your first batch - you will not buy yogurt again! I can't take responsibility for the yogurt you make but I really like this recipe. I found the basic recipe at ourlifesimplified.com and adapted it. I don't know the scientific aspects of yogurt making (nor do I care to know), I just know it worked for me! It's super yummy and simple to make! 
I'm pretty sure I have purchased almost all brands of yogurt in the store; fruit on the bottom, cream on the top, Greek yogurt, organic, coconut, soy, thick-n-creamy, lowfat, fat-free, you name it, I've probably tried it. But yogurt is expensive and there is too much sugar and extra ingredients for me! So I hope you are brave and try making your own yogurt at least once. My cost ranges from $1.88 to $3.18 to make 2 quarts! Who doesn't love to save money and eat more healthy?
Ingredients: 
1/2 gallon milk (I use Berbach's 2% milk or any milk not ultra-pasturized)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use Chobani or Dannon plain Greek yogurt). Make sure it has live and active cultures.
* 1/2 cup powdered milk (this is optional - it works fine without this)

You will also need a crock pot, a thermometer (I use a digital thermometer), and 2 bath towels or a blanket. Make sure all of your items are clean. You can use hot, boiling water to sterilize or use the dishwasher sanitize cycle works the best. 
  • Pour milk into the crock pot. Cover with lid and turn on high. Let the milk heat until almost boiling 180F degrees, but don't let it boil. (Mine took 2 hours and 15 minutes).
  • Turn the crock pot off and remove the lid, let the milk cool down to 115F degrees. If you get a film over the top, remove it with the backside of a spoon, just lay it over the top of your milk and gently press and lift up, it'll stick to your spoon. 
  • When the milk cools down to 115F, it took mine about an hour, remove about 4 ladles of milk and place it into a bowl, then add 1/2 cup plain yogurt (and 1/2 cup powdered milk, if you chose to use it) and gently whisk it. 
  • Then pour this back into the crock pot and whisk it all together. 
  • Place the lid on the crock pot and place the crock back into the heating element portion. Wrap the entire unit with 2 large bath towels or a blanket. Place it in an area away from drafts. The best is to put it in the oven (DON'T turn your oven on!), turn the oven light on, keeping the towels or blanket away from the light, and let it sit undisturbed for 10-12 hours. I usually put mine in the oven at 8:30 pm and take it out around 8:00 am. 
  • In the morning, unwrap your crock pot, remove the lid, take a deep breath and enjoy the yummy smell of your homemade yogurt!  
  • You will see the whey (liquid) in the crock pot with your yogurt. You can mix this in but I like a thick, Greek style yogurt, so I line a colander with cheesecloth or paper coffee filters and place it on top of a large bowl. 
  • Spoon out your yogurt from the crock pot into the colander. Leave it for about 1 hour then remove the colander and pour the whey into a glass jar. I store mine in the refrigerator. You can use the whey in your homemade pancakes, bread, muffins, pour some in your bath water, and I've even heard of people watering their plants with it. 
  • Stir the yogurt and take out 1/2 cup to save as starter yogurt for your next batch, this way you won't have to buy any yogurt for a starter, you will have your own. I save mine in a glass container and put it in the freezer. 
I store the rest of my yogurt in quart jars in the refrigerator. It makes 2 quarts after I take my starter out. I usually wait about 8 hours before I eat my yogurt; it's better after it's cold. I also use my yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise so I do not flavor or sweeten my yogurt until I am ready to eat it. 
Some of my favorite things to add are: 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp agave, 1/4 cup homemade muesli, homemade granola, sliced almonds, fresh slice strawberries of other fruit, homemade jam or homemade applesauce with a little cinnamon. Now wasn't that easy? And don't forget super yummy and healthy!  My granddaughter helped me and thought it was the coolest thing ever and that's a memory builder! Good luck and enjoy!
Love and peace.
 ~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa