We are enjoying a cool, rainy day in the Midwest. It feels like the perfect day off to me. A day for crafts because I need to make a new fall wreath, baking because everyone is begging for treats and of course some cleaning. Today I am making two kinds of our favorite bars, Simply Homemade Pumpkin Bars and our mother-in-law's banana bars, they're the best!
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter, softened but not melted
1 1/2 c mashed bananas, about 3 bananas
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c sour cream (I use plain Greek or thick homemade yogurt instead)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
- Mix sugar, butter, bananas and sour cream (or yogurt), then add eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour batter into either a greased and floured or parchment lined 9x13 pan. Bake 350F for 25-35 minutes. Test using a toothpick, if it comes out clean, the bars are done.
- Place on a cooling rack until they have cooled then frost them using the recipe below.
Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium pan over medium heat on the stove until delicate brown in color. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla and about 3 T. milk until frosting is smooth. You can mix this with a spatula or wooden spoon.
* You can also use a jelly roll pan rather than a 9x13 pan. You will need to adjust the frosting to 1/2 cup butter and 4 c powdered sugar. You may also need to add more milk.
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi