Truly a favorite sandwich at our house! This is the fancy sandwich that I wrote about in the post, Simply Roasted Tomatoes. We ate these sandwiches for a couple of our camping meals, the kids thought it was very cool (and yummy)! The basic ingredients are roasted tomatoes, cheese and bread but here are some of the variations I use for this sandwich.
- Toasted bread: Start with your bread, here are some great ideas, English muffins, English muffin bread, ciabatta, French, Italian, white bread, buns, gluten-free, etc., you get the picture right? Any bread you like. For ours, I used ciabatta rolls and toasted them in the toaster.
- Mayonnaise: I mixed about a teaspoon of Italian seasoning in about 1/4 cup mayo. (I made 5 sandwiches). Spread mayo on your toasted bread.
- Cheese: I almost always use fresh mozzarella but I have on occasion used provolone. Place a slice or slices of cheese over the mayo.
- Place roasted tomatoes over the cheese. I like to heat my tomatoes slightly before I do this.
- The kids like another layer of cheese over the tomatoes but I will leave that one up to you!
- Place a layer of spinach (I don't always do this) on the top.
- Cover the sandwich with the toasted top of the bun or bread, whichever you used.
- Wrap the sandwich and heat them for about 2 minutes on the grill if you're camping or microwave them if you want, just enough to melt the cheese.
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi