Friday, September 20, 2013

Oven Roasted Tomatoes



Finally a few minutes alone with my computer! It is a beautiful fall day in the Midwest and I am still feeling blessed to have fresh produce from my garden! I am still harvesting peppers and tomatoes. Today my plan to can some salsa but I have been busy roasting tomatoes. This is a great plan if you are short on time or you don't own any canning equipment. When we were camping a couple of weeks ago, I brought some roasted tomatoes and we had the fanciest sandwiches ever, well the children thought so! I'll share our fancy sandwich recipe in a few days.
I absolutely love to freeze the roasted tomatoes to make sauces at a later date or use them during our cold winter months for pasta sauce, chili, soup, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, ketchup and tomato soup. I like to season mine slightly but you don't have to. The key is to roast them on a low heat in the oven.
Steps to roast tomatoes:
  1. Wash and rinse tomatoes (as many or as few as you like).
  2. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush olive oil over the top of the paper.
  3. Preheat oven to 275F.
  4. Cut the tomatoes in half or chunks. I use different varieties and sizes of tomatoes.
  5. Place tomatoes on the baking sheet.
  6. Sprinkle some of your favorite seasonings or herbs over the tomatoes. I use Italian Seasoning or fresh thyme, fresh basil, rosemary, kosher salt and pepper.
  7. Using a Misto, I spray olive oil over the seasoned tomatoes or just drizzle the oil over the top.
  8. Bake 1 hour at 275F then turn tomatoes with a spoon or spatula.
  9. Return to the oven and bake another hour.
  10. Remove from oven and place pan on cooling rack for about 30 minutes or until cool.
  11. If you are freezing the tomatoes, place them in a Ball jar or freezer baggies.
I hope you try this process and like it as much as I do, it's also the least messy!
 
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment