For some reason, I have never really been a meatloaf lover..I think it might be a texture thing...or a flavor thing. My sister doesn't like it either. I don't remember being forced to eat it as a child or anything..actually I don't remember eating it at all as a child...must've blocked it out! (just kidding). Even the picture I took, doesn't make it look too appetizing! I took several and this is the best I could make it look. (I even added the drizzled ketchup, it still didn't make it look much better, you don't have to do that...unless you want to!) Anyway, the other night for no particular reason, I got hungry for meatloaf. My family and I almost ate the whole thing and they said it was my best meatloaf recipe ever! So I had to blog it before I forgot how I made it. I usually don't get too technical when I cook, I just eyeball it. So feel free to make it yours and add or not add what you like.
Here's what you need:
- 1 pound ground beef, uncooked
- 1 pound ground pork sausage, uncooked (I used Jimmy Dean, in a tube shape. there are a few sage, reduced fat, spicy or regular)
- 1 egg, this helps it stick together
- 1 Tablespoon dry onion flakes or 1/2 of a finely chopped onion
- minced garlic, I used one clove
- 1/4 c dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 c ketchup
- salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like
- mix about 1/4 cup ketchup with about 3 Tablespoons brown sugar and pour or spread over the top of the meatloaf
Bake 350 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Hope you like it too!