Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

For me, homemade applesauce is another one of those items that once you've had homemade, the stuff in the jars just doesn't cut it! I have used applesauce recipes from both of my grandmas in the past but today I thought I would try something different. I didn't want to use so much white sugar from my old recipes. I used organic ingredients, but you don't have to. This is super delicious!
Ingredients:
12 organic apples - peeled, cored, and chopped
2 1/2 cups unsweetened, organic apple juice or water (may need to increase agave or honey amount)
Pinch of sea salt
2 T agave or honey
1 tsp cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks (remove after cooking)
I used organic apples that I had on hand, a combination of pink lady, gala, fuji, and some previously frozen cortland apples. I put my chopped apples in a large kettle and poured the apple juice over them, you might need to add a little more juice to cover the apples. Add the salt and simmer the apples over medium heat about 20 minutes. Mash the apples with a potato masher until they reach the consistency you like, maybe chunky or really smooth. I left a few chunks of apple in my sauce. Stir in the agave or honey and add the cinnamon. Cook over low heat until the liquid has cooked into the apples, it only took mine about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. (You can also use your food processor to make it really smooth). I like mine chilled, so I poured my applesauce into quart jars and stored it in the refrigerator, it made about 2 1/2 quarts of applesauce.
Homemade Applesauce


 Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment