Skip to main content

Chicken Satay

I am so excited to share this recipe! I have been recording past episodes of the Nate Berkus Show and I was so happy to find Jamie Oliver and one of his healthy chicken recipes. So I had to try it immediately and guess what? It was awesome! The ingredients are fresh and healthy, which I love! You probably know that I adapted the recipe with ingredients I had on hand. I also grilled my chicken instead of using the broiler. So get your food processor out of storage and try our new family favorite!
Satay:
1/2 - 3/4 bunch of cilantro, even the stalks
1 red chili pepper or 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 cup peanut butter, (homemade peanut butter is my favorite)
Soy sauce to taste
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peel and slice
1 small shallot or 1/2 medium red onion
1 lime, zest first then squeeze the juice into the mixture
Place all of these ingredients into the food processor and mix until they resemble a paste-like texture. Take about 1/2 of the sauce from the food processor and save to serve with the meal. The rest will be used to spread on the chicken.


Chicken:
8 chicken breast tenderloins or cut 4 chicken breasts into pieces, I use my hands and coat each chicken piece with the satay sauce and place them on the grill. I turn them several times but for the small pieces it only takes about 10-12 minutes.


Boil noodles according to package (I use organic lo mein noodles but you can use any pasta or rice). I rinse mine and toss with about a teaspoon of sesame oil. I serve mine chilled rather than hot.

Place 1 T honey in a small skillet and add 3/4 c unsalted raw cashews. Turn heat on low-medium and stir cashews and honey until the cashews are light brown in color. Remove from heat and let cool.


Garnishes:
Romaine lettuce leaves
Fresh lime, cut into slices
Satay sauce
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, rough chopped
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Honey roasted cashews
garnishes
Can serve it with lettuce on the side
I serve my chicken satay in romaine lettuce leaves. I start with some satay sauce, noodles, soy sauce, cilantro, chicken and squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top. Then I add the roasted cashews. 
If you want to try something new and healthy, this is perfect!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi


Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa