This afternoon while looking around at my favorite craft store, I spotted some soft, fluffy material on sale and I knew when I saw it, I would have to make a pillow! My granddaughters found some of their favorite material too so they also made a pillow. (Actually only one of them made the pillow while the other one was hanging out with her friends...kids are so cute!) I usually keep at least one or two bags of filling in my craft room so I only needed the material, $3.00 and $1.50. Depending on the width and the size of your pillow you can usually buy 1/2 yard for a fairly large pillow. Otherwise measure the size of the pillow you want and buy that amount of material.
How to sew a pillow:
- Decide the size of the pillow you are going to sew and measure the material and add an inch to each side.
- Fold my material in half, right sides together and cut the size you want.
- I always sew the longest side first and save the shorter sides for last.
- Sew one of the short sides from end to end.
- Sew the remaining short sides toward the middle leaving a space just big enough to add the filling for the pillow. I usually leave about 4 inches, enough for your hand and stuffing.
- Once the pillow is stuffed (don't forget to add a little extra in the corners), hand sew the opening edges together.
- Fluff your pillow and enjoy!
~ Simply Tammi