I have been having so much fun going to the Farmer's Markets and picking out fresh fruits and veggies on the weekends. Last weekend I bought the most delicious berries, they were huge! I also bought some other things and decided to make my version of Chicken Cacciatore. This is one of those, "throw in what veggies you like add a few seasonings and it's done!" Plus I feel like it's pretty healthy with all those vegetables!
Here's what you need:
- 3 boneless skinless thighs, or 2 large breasts, cut up or left whole
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, I like the sweet yellow ones
- 1 c chicken stock or broth
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, or you can use fresh, I just like to use the ones in the can with the liquid because they are already ripe and cut up
- 1/2 pound of penne pasta, or what you like OR you can omit the pasta
- optional seasonings to taste, red pepper flakes, celery salt, salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, oregano
***If you want to hurry it along, you can boil pasta water and partially cook the pasta while the chicken is cooking, then add to the mixture. Sometimes I do it that way, but you have to be careful not to overcook the pasta, it will cook in the liquid with the chicken and vegetables too.