Skip to main content

Shabby Chic Coffee Filter Wreath


Simply one of my favorite DIY projects under $5.00 is my adorable shabby wreath. I made 2 of them, one for our front door and one is above the fireplace mantel. This wreath is made from coffee filters! 
Supplies and Directions
straw craft wreath, I used a 12 inch wreath for this wreath (leave the plastic on the wreath)
1 package of small basket style coffee filters (1-4 cup size, about 200 coffee filters)
hot glue 
stapler
scissor
craft wire or floral wire
  • Begin by measuring a piece of wire (about 16 inches) to wrap around the top of the wreath and shape a circle at the top for the hanger. Twist the wire so you have a small circle at the top and keep twisting the wire so your hanger will be secure.
  • You will need 6 coffee filters for each flower, so plan on sitting for awhile, unless you have helpers. My granddaughters had a blast helping me with the flowers!
  • To start making your flowers, take 3 coffee filters (leave them together so they look like 1 filter) press them flat with your fingers so it looks like you have 1 circle made of 3 filters. 
  • Fold the circle in half, keep folding the halves in half (total of 3 times). It will look like a small cone.
  • Hold the bottom of the cone and trim the top of the filters. Super easy, just trim the tops off the top in a half-circle shape. I cut 2 half circles but you can cut points or any design you like.
  • Set this aside and do the same thing with the next 3 filters, except trim more off the top. I cut about an inch or a little more off the top. You want them smaller so they will look like the inside of a flower.
  • Stack all of the filters together. You'll have the group of 3 of larger filters and the group of 3 of smaller filters in the middle, flatten them out with your fingers and staple once in the middle.
Staple the coffee filters together after trimming the tops
  • To make the flower shape, start gathering the first filter (the one on the top) with your fingers. I bunch it together and scrunch them up toward the middle. Continue with each layer of coffee filters until all 6 of the coffee filters are bunched and scrunched! Spread them out a little and fluff them with your fingers.
  • After you have made the flower. flatten the bottom a little by pressing the flower down on a flat surface, it'll make it easier to glue it to the wreath when all of the flowers are made.

Coffee filters make beautiful flowers
  • I made 35 flowers for this wreath.
  • After your flowers are made hot glue them to the wreath.
  • I started with the flowers around the middle of the wreath first and worked my way to the outside of the wreath.
Hot glue the coffee filter flowers to a straw wreath
  • If you have space between any of your flowers, place a dab of hot glue onto the petals of the surrounding flowers and hold it together. I feel I need to remind you that hot glue is hot!! I burn my finger every time I work on a hot glue project.
  • I hung my wreath on my magnetic wreath holder on the front door. We have a glass storm door on the outside so the wreath doesn't get wet and it looks beautiful from the outside!
Enjoy your beautiful not too shabby wreath!

Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa