Sunday, March 24, 2013

Bean-Bacon Chowder

I'm always in the mood for a good soup or chowder, especially when it's chilly..and in the Midwest, there's no shortage of chilly days...even though it's supposed to be spring! This is one of my "go to" recipes when I need something filling and am short on time. I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It's adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Pork Sausage & Ham Cookbook.
Here's what you need:
  • 6 slices bacon cut up
  • 1c chopped onion I use sweet yellow
  • 2 T flour
  • 3 c milk
  • 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste, because of the salt in the bacon I only add pepper
  • 1 22oz (or close to it) can or jar baked beans -I use Bush's Original
Cook bacon and onion till bacon is browned and onion is tender. Blend in flour. Add milk, cook and stir until bubbly. Add potatoes salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 12-15 minutes or till potatoes are done. Stir in beans and heat. Makes at least 6 good size servings.
Enjoy!
~Simply Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment