3/4 c sugar (I use organic cane sugar but white sugar will work)
1/4 c honey
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 T water
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c flax seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 T butter
1/4 tsp baking soda
- Use a medium-small saucepan over medium heat, mix sugar, honey, nutmeg and water, and stir until mixture is fairly smooth.
- Add seeds and stir.
- Continue to cook over medium heat about 10-12 minutes. I used a candy thermometer and waited for the mixture to reach 302F. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and butter, keep stirring until the butter has melted.
- Stir in the baking soda. It will foam a little, don't panic - its supposed to do that!
- Pour brittle onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- When it's almost cool, I make some lines over the top (carefully with a large knife) so when it cools, you can break it apart on the lines. If you are not handy with a knife, just break it into pieces.
- My family loves this - happy snacking!
~ Simply Tammi