Thursday, November 15, 2012

Simply Roasted Chickpeas

If you are looking for a crunchy, healthy snack then this is a recipe for you. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical at first, I'm not particularly fond of... beans, but thought it was worth a try. After all, garbanzo beans are cheap so wouldn't be out much if I didn't like them. I found several recipes for them on allrecipes.com. You can add what you like, there are several ideas and seasoning combinations that can be used.  I didn't really follow a recipe I just added what seasonings I like and was happily surprised when they actually tasted good!
Here's what you need:
  • 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
  • 2-3 T olive oil or oil of your choice, canola works well too
  • cayenne pepper
  • Spanish paprika
  • dash of salt, optional
  • any other seasonings you like, If you prefer sweet instead of salty you can use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 T honey and 1T sugar
Rinse and blot dry with a paper towel, this will also get some of the extra skins off the chickpeas. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings of your choice, then mix them around to cover them with oil and seasonings. Bake at 400 degrees for about 35-45 minutes on a cookie sheet, stirring or shaking them around (GENTLY..I had a few roll away) on the pan about every 15 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown and crunchy all the way through. I had to test mine before I took them out of the oven, the outsides were crunchy but they needed about 5 more minutes to get the insides done. So mine took a little over 45 minutes. Watch them the last few minutes so they don't burn.  Let cool and store in an airtight container. These also make great gifts, the recipe can be doubled or tripled. Enjoy your healthy, crunchy snack!

~Simply Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment