Here's what you need:
- 4 cups unsweetened apple, grape, or orange juice ( I used unsweetened Apple Cider)
- 1/4 c lemon juice (not from a real lemon) has to be in the bottle
- 1- 1 3/4 ounce package powdered fruit pectin, if you use the little container of pectic (I use Ball brand) use 3 1/2 T
- 4 1/2 c sugar (I used a little less)
- Cinnamon sticks or red hot candies (optional)
- half pint jars, lids, rings
Pour fruit juice and lemon juice into an 8-10 qt kettle . Sprinkle with pectin. Let stand 1-2 minutes, stir to dissolve (I added a cinnamon stick). Bring to a full rolling boil over med-high heat. Stir frequently. (Remove cinnamon stick). Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil, stir often. Boil hard one minute, (this is where I have a discrepancy...juice turns to jelly at 220 degrees F. It took me A LOT longer than 1 minute, so my first batch was a little runnier..but still jelly.) Skim off foam. Ladle into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling-water canner 5 minutes. Makes about 6 half pints.