Sunday, October 28, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Granola

I'm always trying new recipes for Granola, I like putting it in my yogurt for breakfast, or just grabbing a handful as a mid-afternoon snack.  I don't like to add anything to it but sliced almonds, then depending what I'm eating with it, I add fruit or other nuts later.  I have made it several times and change it up a little each time, but this is one of my favorites. I adapted this recipe from Blackberry Farms. You can find the original recipe here.

What you need:
  • 5 c oats, I used the Old Fashioned but Quick probably works too
  • 1/2 c ground flax seed
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 3/4 c Maple syrup or honey (I used 1/2 c honey and 1/4 c Apple Cinnamon Syrup)*
  • 1/2 c almonds, I used sliced
  • 1/2 c oil, I used Canola for this recipe
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Pour into a large bowl and mix together then spread onto a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Check after 35-40 minutes, mine took longer, it was too chewy, unfortunately my sister got some from that batch!  Bake until golden brown and crunchy. Let cool, then break into pieces or chunks. Store in container with tight lid.

*The Apple Cinnamon Syrup I used was Stonewall Kitchen brand, STONEWALLKITCHEN.COM - I actually found mine at our Kohl's Store...weird, I know!  Here is a delicious recipe that works great for the granola Simply Homemade Apple Cider Syrup.  Maybe you have a favorite of your own ...we would love for you to share it with us!

~Simply Angie

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/13/2012

    I used melted coconut oil instead of canola. It worked great!

    ReplyDelete