Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tile Coasters or Decoration


Try this simple DIY project for a gift idea using tile squares for coasters or displaying as a plaque. For a special occasion gift, I decorated a tile using decals and a rubber stamp for my grandson's baptism. I used metal beads with the date of his baptism on the side. I also decorated the back with scrapbook paper and a special quote. You can make a tile for any special occasion. The possibilities are endless! You could use a wedding invitation, your favorite scrap booking paper then decoupage it on the tiles, you can use decals and stickers, you can paint your own design with acrylic paint. You can also use colored tiles and place a quote on another material, such as metal and decorate the coaster with beads, etc.
If I am making coasters for gifts, I usually make 4 coasters and wrap a ribbon around them for an extra touch. For special occasions, I like to give one coaster with an easel for display purposes.
What I Used For My Coasters:
Tile squares, I bought the field stone 4x4 tiles at Menard's in a 8 pack package
Rubber stamps
Stamp ink pad, I use the permanent ink so it doesn't smear when you apply the sealant
Sponge
Colored pencils
Beads
Leather rope or thin wire
Liquid glaze - I use Delta glaze with glitter (it's like a varnish or sealant but for crafts)
Felt, card stock or scrap book paper
Glue (I used Elmer's white glue)
  • I use a damp cotton cloth to wipe off the tiles (they can be dusty) before I start applying my decorations. Let the tiles dry, it takes less than 30 minutes.
  • I start by cutting a piece of felt or card stock paper to cover the back of the tile. I glue it on with Elmer's glue. This gives a nice finished touch, this step is optional if you don't care if the back is covered.
  • Apply stamping ink to your stamp and stamp your design on the tile. 
  • You can dip a sponge in some acrylic paint and dab it around the edges if you want a border.
  • Apply beads, decals, color your stamp design with colored pencils, or use other decorations of your choice.
  • Before you apply your glaze to the stamped portion of the tile, test a portion to make sure it won't smear. I had this problem once when I used water-based ink. Make sure your stamp pad ink is permanent. 
  • Use a paint brush to apply a light coat of glaze to the tile.
  • Let it dry completely. I let mine dry at least a day before I box them to use as a gift.
  • Have fun and be creative!

Back of the baptism tile

Stamped


Stamp and glue thin metal - colored tile

 Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

3 comments:

  1. I also decorated the back with scrapbook paper and a special quote would like to send it as Eid gifts to Pakistan on this eid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea i have a wedding coming up and i may try this for a personlised wedding gift

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do make great gifts and I love them because they are something that is also useful!

    ReplyDelete