Skip to main content

DIY Bath Salts

A favorite bath treatment for sore muscles, skin softener, and many other health benefits, is to enhance your bath with bath salts. There are many basic recipes for this but also many cautionary tips. It is not recommended to use baby oil if you have a whirlpool or jacuzzi tub, use essential oils not cosmetic fragrance oils because they can irritate your skin. Another great idea is to use Dead Sea salts with your Epsom salt, available at Amazon.com, you will use the same amount of both salts. I have not tried this combination yet but it is on my to-do list! I found a couple of web sites for more information and variations:
http://suite101.com/article/luxurious-homemade-bath-salts-a201788

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/about/

Directions:
I used a glass bowl and a wooden spoon to mix my bath salts:
2 cups Epsom salts
* optional add 2 cups Dead Sea salts (available on Amazon.com)
4-6 drops of your favorite essential oil. My favorite is orange but peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, yling-ylang, patchouli, and orange are great also. You can even combine essential oils such as eucalyptus and orange.
* You may add a few drops of food coloring if you want to color your salts, but not too much or it could stain your skin.
It's best to add about 1 cup bath salts under the running water when you start your bath. Recommended bath time for the full Epsom salt benefits is 15-20 minutes.

If you aren't using this in a whirlpool tub you can add 3 T sweet almond oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, or baby oil  to your mixture. But if you give this as a gift make sure you label it appropriately. Use a decorative bottle or jar to store and make sure it seals well.
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa