2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into small chunks (I use a beef roast - it's cheaper that way)
4 T olive oil (you can use any oil)
1/4 cup white rice flour (this also makes it gluten free)
Coarse ground salt and pepper to taste
2 cups stock or broth (you can use chicken or beef)
1 chopped onion, small
2 shallots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 stalks chopped celery
4 large carrots, sliced
1 T thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (you can used canned tomatoes if you want)
- You can make this in a crock pot but I like to use a large dutch oven pan for mine.
- Heat oil in a skillet or the dutch oven pan. Using a gallon size baggie, pour the flour with some salt and pepper into the baggie and place the cut meat in the baggie and shake.
- Add the meat to the hot oil and brown for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add enough veggies (except the tomatoes) to cover the meat. Top with the tomatoes, then pour the stock over the top. Cover with the lid.
- I cooked mine in the oven at 300F for 3 hours or until the meat was tender, I turned it down to 250F for about an hour (yes, late husband).
- You can also cook this on the stove in your covered dutch oven pan on low, simmer for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- If you are making this in a crock pot, cook on low for about 6-8 hours or about 3-4 hours on high.
~ Simply Tammi