Skip to main content

Organizing Linen and Storage Closets

As the weather gets nicer, the more I want to clean out and get things organized. My project a couple weekends ago was to clean out my linen closet.  Did you ever notice that when you start a project like that, you end up involving other areas of the house and closets you weren't originally planning on cleaning out? So what started as cleaning out one closet quickly turned into two. The top picture is my medicine, storage closet. I keep extra bathroom and cleaning supplies here too. The bottom picture is my linen closet. I keep things in storage bags that I don't use often. I have one labeled for guest bedding so when we have company I don't have to go searching for extra bedding and blankets.  

Everyone has different spaces and storage needs so I put together a few general organizing tips:
  • De-clutter- I know everyone is probably sick and tired of hearing this, but this is the hard part.  You really have to think of the space you have and what you can realistically keep and will be using. 
  • Your space is worth something. I love a bargain and my local warehouse store as much as anybody, but it's really not saving money to bring home 40 rolls of toilet paper if I have to leave them sitting in my living room because I don't have space for them.
  • Store "like" things together. I like to use baskets, boxes or bins just to keep them together so they are easier to find
  • Remember the purpose of the space,  once your space has a purpose, it's easy to figure out what needs to go somewhere else and what can stay.
  • Store extra pillows and linens in storage bags to keep them from collecting dust when not in use. (You can also put a bar of soap in with them to keep them fresh or cedar blocks if you have pests)
  • Sheets can be stored in the pillowcase to keep sets together
  • Stock up when things go on sale but remember only buy what you have the space for.  You don't have to buy 4 of something just to get the sale price, most stores will give you the sale price for the item whether you buy 1 or 4.
  •  Label it- Everyone knows where to find it and where to put it!  You don't have to have a label maker for this. Masking tape and permanent markers work. For something different I bought a roll of blackboard contact paper and a liquid chalk marker on Amazon.
  • If you haven't used it for 6 months to a year, you probably don't need it.  I like "Organizing Guru," Peter Walsh's idea for cleaning out kitchen utensils by putting everything in a box, and as you use it put it away, what's left in the box after a few months can be donated. 
  • Check expiration dates on medicine. Store in an upper cupboard, out of the bathroom. Bathrooms are too humid and not a safe place if you have little ones around. If you have expired medicine, dissolve pills in a baggie with some used coffee grounds, add some water and squish the bag(make sure it's sealed tightly) until the pills dissolve, then throw away.  
  • In clothes closets, turn hangers backwards and as you wear it, turn the hanger around, in a few months, donate whatever is on the hangers you haven't turned around.
 We would love to hear your organizing tips,we like getting comments and we really do read them all!~Simply Angie


Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa