Friday, April 06, 2012

The Best Vanilla Biscotti

The Best Vanilla Biscotti
One of my favorite things is a perfect cup of coffee or latte and a biscotti! Since I'm all about simple and deliciousness, I have to share my best biscotti recipe. I'm not fond of the hard, tasteless biscotti that you find at the store in a plastic wrapper. I like a hint of sweetness and a little crunchiness in my biscotti. You can use different flavorings but I chose vanilla because my husband likes a little melted chocolate on his biscotti. This recipe might sound complicated but once you get your process down, you can bake these in your sleep (well maybe not but they are simple to make!) So give it a try, make yourself a perfect cup of coffee and enjoy your yummy biscotti!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup white sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
parchment paper
I use my hand mixer to make my biscotti. Mix butter and sugar until blended. Add vanilla and eggs and beat until creamy and smooth (about a minute). Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until mixed together. Preheat oven to 350F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. You need to use parchment paper because you will need to lift your biscotti off the baking sheet later. Divide dough in half and place each half on your parchment covered baking sheet. Spread the dough (I use a table knife) so it looks like 2 logs on your pan - they will each be about 4 inches wide and 12 or 13 inches long. Run your knife (flat side) along the top of your dough so it is even across the top. If you don't have a large baking sheet, just use 2 pans, one log on each. Remember they don't have to be perfect, they might not be totally smooth.
Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. They will be slightly brown and firm when you touch the tops. Remove from oven and carefully pick up 2 corners (opposite corners) of your parchment paper and place it on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Reduce your oven to 290F. After your logs have cooled, leave them on the parchment paper and carefully lift them and place on a cutting board and start slicing (I use a serrated bread knife) diagonally about 1/2-1 inch thick. Sometimes when I cut the very ends off, one side will be rounded, I don't bake those a second time, those are for my taste testing purposes- haha! Gently, turn each piece over on its side, the cut side down on your baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Turn biscotti over on the other side and bake 10 minutes more. Remove biscotti from oven and let cool. Store in air tight container. I use a large glass jar and they keep for a couple of weeks.
If you want, you can melt about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (white or milk chocolate) and just dip the ends of your biscotti into the chocolate. Let cool before you store them.




Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi


No comments:

Post a Comment