Skip to main content

Our Favorite Muffins

The weekend mornings are for muffins at my house!  My muffin recipe comes from many muffin experiences. We are picky muffin eaters at this house! They can't be too dry, too heavy, too crumbly, too bland, burned on the bottom, the list goes on and on...so this is my favorite muffin recipe - it took me a couple of years to figure it out but it is yummy-licious! I think to sum it up we like our muffins to taste like cupcakes but muffins for breakfast sounds much healthier than cupcakes for breakfast - haha! Well maybe...anyway the best part is that it's kid approved (big kids and little kids)! 
To keep it interesting for my family and friends I alternate the last ingredient in the muffins so people don't get tired of the same muffins. I use fresh (or frozen) blueberries, sliced peaches (but not the juice), chocolate chips, sliced almonds (I use 1/2 cup and replace the vanilla with almond extract), raspberries, blackberries, whatever your favorites are. You can even combine ingredients like blueberries and raspberries. So make some muffins today and enjoy!
Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all purpose white flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use my homemade yogurt)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries (or your favorite berries). Today I used frozen Colorado peaches (thawed out but I did not use the juice).

Mix the dry ingredients together then add the eggs, milk, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla. Stir with spatula or a wooden spoon (no mixers). The batter might be a little lumpy, that's ok. Add your fruit, sliced almonds, or chocolate chips and stir gently until they are all mixed in. Use a standard muffin tin, and either grease your tins or use paper liners. I use a cookie scoop and fill them about 3/4 of the way to the top. Sometimes I sprinkle the tops with a little sugar.
I bake mine for 17-20 minutes at 340F. I touch the tops and when the bounce back they are done. Then I place them on cooling rack for about 10 minutes. Take them out of the pan and leave on cooling rack until cool. These freeze very well in a tightly sealed container, just remember they need to be room temperature before you freeze them.
Makes 14-18 muffins.
Peach muffins - yummy!
Upside down but I had to show you the bottom - no burning!

Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa