Sunday, March 11, 2012

Grandma's Refrigerator Pickles

I recently found this recipe when I was organizing my recipe book, I had forgotten I had it.  It instantly took me back to the days when I would go visit my Grandma and Grandpa, their house always smelled like fresh baked bread. She would serve these sweet pickles with our meal. Mine turned out just how I remembered them. There is no cooking or canning involved. They are simply, Refrigerator Pickles.
  • 7 cups unpeeled, sliced, cucumbers ( I used about 5 large cucumbers)
  • 1 sliced onion
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 c white vinegar
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 t celery seed
I made 2 quarts and 1 pint but you could put them all in one large gallon jar. I put the cucumbers and onions in the jars and then poured in the mixture, it seemed very dry and doesn't cover the cucumbers all the way, but as they sit, they shrink down.  I called my sister because I was sure the recipe had to be wrong but she said she remembered going to Grandma's and helping her shake the jars to mix and cover the pickles.  After about 24 hours they are all covered and can be eaten.  They will keep several weeks in the refrigerator.

~Simply Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment