Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ball Jar Soap Dispenser

I have seen this Ball jar soap dispenser on several magazine websites and thought it was cute, useful, and goes with my home decor. So I decided, as I usually do, on a whim to try it making it myself. Some of the directions said to drill a hole in the lid. I don't use power tools, my sister and I joke that "we aren't allowed to use them" (we can be a little accident prone!) So for me the tricky part was trying to find something the right size. If you can drill-go for it!
What you need:
  • a jar with a lid, I used a pint size Ball jar, but you can use any size or kind of jar you have
  • a soap or lotion pump, I have seen them at craft stores, but I used one I had from an old bottle of soap
  • instant glue, I used Krazy Glue (thanks to reader comments, hot glue does not work)
  • a hammer
  • something large enough to poke a hole to fit the pump through (I used several things, I started with a nail and then started bending the metal with a scissor (feel free to use whatever works, I probably would have been safer using a power tool - but I got the job done!)
I used a one piece lid, if you use the 2 piece (a lid and ring) they will have to be glued together. I poked my hole in the middle until I could stick the pump through, then glued around the pump on the jar lid. Within a couple hours I could use it. Have fun, but use caution! I would love to hear your ideas, we love getting comments!

~Simply Angie

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/22/2012

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot glue doesn't really work, it comes off when you pump. So my pump inst glued on, but it doesn't matter, you can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that's good to know! I updated it on the post.

    ReplyDelete