Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beef Roast and Veggies

 The Best Roast and Veggies

Sooooo...I had a million things to do today and I can't really say that I've accomplished much. What can I say? I am easily distracted!
So here is my super simple roast recipe:

3.5 pound chuck roast (very cheap) about $5.69 for the entire roast
2 shallots, chopped in large pieces
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
6 carrots, cut in half
1/2 cup, coarsely chopped onion
3 - 4 cups of water
7 or 8 baby red or gold potatoes
Coarse salt (to taste)
Coarse pepper (to taste)
1 T oregano
1 T thyme
2 T parsley
1 T rosemary

Place all ingredients in a large, covered pot and place in a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour. Then turn the oven down and bake for 2 hours at 325 degrees. You can adjust your time depending on when you want to eat (my husband is always late). Check your meat with a fork, if it is falling apart, it's done. When this happens, I take the meat out and let it rest about 15 minutes. I use a strainer and take out the carrots and potatoes. I discard or freeze the ingredients I don't want so I am left with the juice. Sometimes I use some of the juice and mix it with rice flour for gravy. I always save some juice for aujus because the next day, french dip sandwiches are on the menu.
Love and peace,
Tammi





2 comments:

  1. Tammi,
    This recipe sounds very good. Where do you get your grass-fed beef? sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila!
    In the summer I get it from a vendor at the Farmer's Market. If I run out in the winter, I go to Pomegranate Market or Cleaver's.
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete