Saturday, February 04, 2012

Homemade Lotion

Lotion
I have spent so much money over my lifetime on lotion that I don't even want to know the amount! And at the end of the day, my skin is still dry dry dry! And it seems that the less scent lotions have, the larger the price tag. So I have scoured the internet looking for a lotion that would moisturize, smell good, and also have some cost savings benefit. I finally found a super easy recipe on asonomagarden.wordpress.com and have tried a couple of versions of the lotion. I love, love, love this lotion! It's a great website too!

Ingredients:
1 cup olive oil or 1 cup sweet almond oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup beeswax (pastilles) or 2 oz if you're using solid beeswax
1/2 tsp Vitamin E oil (or 5 capsules cut open and squeezed out) optional
20 drops essential oil (your favorite scent) this is optional also






Combine olive oil (or sweet almond oil) with coconut oil and beeswax into a pint size canning jar (I also have used a 4 cup glass measuring cup). Put the jar into a saucepan of water until it comes about 3/4 of the way up the canning jar - be careful not to get any water in your jar with your oil mixture! Turn stove on medium to low heat. Heat and stir occasionally until melted.

This is made with olive oil
This is made with sweet almond oil

Let cool to room temperature either by leaving out or by placing in the refrigerator.  During the cooling process, stir the lotion with a fork every 15 minutes. After an hour, add in the vitamin e and essential oil. (This step is optional). With my olive oil lotion, I used orange essential oil. With my almond oil lotion, I didn't add any essential oil. I liked the smell without any essential oil, it was sort of a light, coconut and almond yumminess!

This lotion is slightly oily on your skin at first but it disappears rather quickly. I use this for my hands and body. It is great for dry skin - I love it! I also separated one batch into 4 small jars to give as gifts.
Olive oil lotion
Almond oil lotion
Ready to use!
Almond lotion gift jar!



Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi







13 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/06/2012

    It is wonderful! I hope to get some as a gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/08/2012

    My daughter even uses this lotion on her twin baby girls for diaper rash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12/18/2012

    I did this recipe this afternoon. It is very oily and it does not disappear quickly on my skin. I guess I'll use it only at night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a little oily. I like to use it at night on my hands and feet before I go to bed or after a shower or bath. Your skin will feel wonderful when you get up! I did notice that I don't have to use very much, I was used to using so much of the store lotion for my dry skin. I have been testing a new recipe I will post if it works.I did read on a few sites to use equal parts wax and oil. Olive oil is a little more oily than sweet almond too. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12/19/2012

    I also made this lotion with the sweet almond oil. My skin is very dry and it took about 15 minutes to totally soak in. I liked the lotion. Do you know how long it lasts in the jar? I'm giving some as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made A LOT last time, it's almost gone and it's been almost a year, it still smells and feels the same. I don't leave it out where it can get too warm. It can melt and then it won't last as long, I keep it in a drawer in my bathroom. It could also be kept in the fridge, it will harden until you put it on your skin. Glad you liked it, it does make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This lotion is magic! I made it with sweet almond oil (with vitamin e already added), coconut oil, and a 2 oz block of beeswax. I loooove this lotion, can't stress that enough! I made 12 little jars already and gave most of them out as gifts. I kept a few though :) this is my new favorite lotion. It's very unlikely ill ever use anything else. It does go on a bit greasy but it soaks in beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what size are the jars 2oz or 4oz?

      Delete
  8. Thanks! Glad you love it, it's our favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to say HI! I've never met another Tammi that spells her name with two m's and an i. :-) That's the way I spell my name too. I'm going to try your lotion. I can't wait.
    Tammi...in Florida. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by TammiA! I have to agree with you - our spelling is not common. I like it that way!! Hope you love the lotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what size is your lotion 2 oz or 4oz?

      Delete
    2. I used 3 sizes of jars, 4 ounce, 8 ounce and 16 ounce. I like the larger size when I give this as a gift for foot cream. Thanks for stopping!

      Delete