Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cinnamon Chip Scones

Cinnamon Chip Scones
I have been on a scone kick lately.  These are from the latest recipe, and like my sister I am always shocked when it turns out the first time!
What you need:
  • 1-2/3 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c packed brown sugar
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1 c heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 c chocolate chips (the original recipe called for miniature semisweet, but I used regular size milk chocolate because that's what I had)
  • 1/4 c chopped toasted  pecans (I omitted them)
  • 1/4 c milk choc. English toffee bits (I had left over toffee in my freezer)
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt. Stir in cream just until moistened. Stir in chips, pecans and toffee bits.  Turn onto floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into one 8-in circle;cut into 6-8 wedges. Put on lightly misted or greased baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter.  They do get a little bigger as they bake so make sure they have room between them.
Bake 375 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Glaze: this is optional I think they taste great either way, this just makes them even sweeter, but my son got to mine before I glazed them and gobbled it up without it.
  • 1/4 c confectioners sugar
  • 1 T softened butter or marg.
  • 1/4 t vanilla
  • milk add as needed to get the consistency you need to drizzle over scones
Mix together and drizzle over scones

**For a less sweet version, you could omit the choc. chips and toffee and add dried fruit. Last time I used dried blueberries with a 1/2 t almond extract and 1/2 t vanilla extract. YUM!

Enjoy!
~Simply Angie
adapted from tasteofhome.com

1 comment:

  1. I made these this morning. Super simple and they tasted great even without the glaze! Thanks sister!

    ReplyDelete