Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Powder Laundry Soap



Powder Laundry Soap Ingredients
I have to talk about laundry soap. It irritates me to spend money on laundry soap! I don't really like the cheap stuff but the expensive stuff makes my skin itchy. So I have searched several web sites and found my favorite powder laundry soap recipe. I use this in my front load washer....the end result is clean clothes and more savings at the grocery store. And the added bonus for is no itchy skin!

Ingredients:
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
1 bar Dr. Bronners peppermint soap (I grated mine with my cheese grater) I have also used Ivory bar soap with good results.

Mix all of these ingredients together in a half gallon jar and shake. Make sure your grated soap is mixed in well. (Make sure the lid is on tight!) This makes about 5 cups of laundry soap. I used about 1/8 - 1/4 cup per load, depending on how hard or soft your water is and how dirty your clothes are.

I found all of the products at the grocery store except the Dr. Bronners bar soap, I found that at our local health food market.

Happy laundry days!

Love and Peace,
~ Simply Tammi







6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/17/2012

    Hyvee on Louise in SF also carries Dr. Bronners bar soaps (peppermint, eucalyptus and citrus). We have allergies at our house so we make our own with Dr. Bronners or all natural bar soap from Carlbsfarm.com. I use the powder in my high effeciency machine - 1 tsp per load and we love it - work on greasy clothes too.

    - Jan H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan for the info! I can hardly wait to try the citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target carries Dr. Bronners too.
    Question, what is the point of using both washing soda and baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there are some recipes that call for either washing soda or baking soda and not both, but my daughter and I make ours together and split it. She uses cloth diapers and we both have hard water. So with both sodas we don't get the dingy grey look because the baking soda helps the neutralize the alkaline level of the washing soda and our hard water. And the stain removal is awesome!
    Tammi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the Dr. Bronners wash out of the diapers ok? I CD too, and worry about using soap because it can build up in in the diapers. right now I use soap nuts, or a mixture of washing soda, borax and oxyclean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah the Dr. Bronners washes out great. I haven't tried soap nuts yet but I think it would be worth a try. Thanks Prairiemom for the info :)

    ReplyDelete