I made some great little dessert pastries this weekend and the taste testers loved them! They are simple to make and they even look a little fancy! I think I will make my own pastry next time rather than the box, but the taste testers thought they were good. So much for homemade...sometimes!!!
1 box of frozen puff pastry (2 sheets in a box), thaw just until cool enough to unroll
1/2 c ricotta cheese (or you can use 8 oz of cream cheese rather than ricotta and mascarpone cheese)
1/2 c mascarpone cheese
1/3 c sugar
1 T flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
* 1 T lemon zest (1 lemon) this is optional
1 egg, whisk until smooth for the glaze
- Mix cheese and and sugar together.
- Add flour, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until creamy and add lemon zest. I used a hand mixer and kept it on low. Don't over-mix.
- Unfold the pastry sheets unto lightly floured parchment paper, roll a couple of times with a rolling pin so that the dough is smooth then cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture in the middle of each square.
- Take one of the corners and fold over the top of the cheese to the opposite corner and press down, leaving about an inch or a little less on edges. It will look like a triangle.
- Beat the egg and brush it around the edges of each triangle and over the top.
- Take the pointed end that you folded over in the beginning and fold it back over the top about an inch or so. You will want to seal it with the egg wash so the cheese doesn't come out when you're baking them. (You can sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar over the top if you want some extra sweetness).
- Pick up the parchment paper and place it on the baking sheet.
- Place in preheated 400F oven.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes until puffed and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, let cool for about 10 minutes and enjoy!
~ Simply Tammi