Thursday, April 18, 2013

Coconut Milk Rice Pudding

  
With our blast of cold and snowy weather again here in the Midwest, even though it's supposed to be Spring, I think my body must think I need to keep eating to hibernate! I've been so hungry for things I don't usually make..like rice pudding for instance.  I'm normally not a big fan of rice in pudding but this recipe was pretty creamy and yummy...and I just kept going back for more! This recipe was adapted from several different rice pudding recipes. It makes about 5, 1/2 cup servings.
Here's what you need:
  • 2 c. coconut milk or 14 oz can coconut milk
  • 2 c milk
  • 2 vanilla beans scraped and the pods, or vanilla extract
  • 2 cinnamon sticks, or 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 c. uncooked rice, I used Basmati because I like the texture, Tammi made hers with brown rice
  • 1/4 c. brown or white sugar, or your sweetener of choice
  • raisins, or whatever mix-ins you like, optional
Pour coconut milk, milk, scrape vanilla beans and add both the seeds and pods, cinnamon sticks and rice and sugar or sweetener into a medium saucepan and bring to boil, turn heat down and simmer 15-20 minutes, if you are using vanilla extract instead of beans add that now, then cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove vanilla pods and cinnamon sticks, enjoy warm or put in refrigerator if you like it cold. Leftover pudding can be kept in an airtight container in fridge about a week.

~Simply Angie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment