Friday, March 15, 2013

Stuffed Green Peppers

I'm pretty sure it was my lucky day at the grocery store, green peppers were on sale! Sometimes it's the little things that make your day! My garden peppers are already gone (which means I have to plant more than 2 plants this year) so I stocked up on green peppers. Since I make meals ahead for the week on the weekends I decided to make pepper steak (in an upcoming post) and stuffed peppers. Fresh ingredients are the best (or those frozen from the garden) but use what you have.
Ingredients:
1 green pepper per person, washed and cored
1 cup or 8 ox tomato sauce
1 cup or 8 oz diced tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
1 cup dry rice (use the rice of your choice, I use basmati or brown rice)
1 pound ground beef, cooked
1 shallot (smaller size)
1 clove minced garlic
1 T Worcestershire sauce
6-7 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c shredded cheese (colby, cheddar, mozarella or your choice)
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  • Cook your rice according to the directions depending on the rice you use. When I use basmati rice, I rinse it first in a strainer. Then add 1 cup dry rice to 1 3/4 - 2 cups of water and boil it for about 25-20 minutes, or until it's soft.
  • Over medium heat on the stove, cook ground beef in another pan, make sure you crumble it well so you can stuff it in your peppers later.
  • In a large bowl, mix all of the seasonings, veggies and tomato ingredients together.
  • Once the rice and ground beef is cooked, add them to the ingredients in the bowl.
  • Mix all ingredients and stuff your peppers.
  • Place peppers in a shallow dish with a small amount of water in the bottom of the dish. I use a deep pie dish. Cover the tops of the peppers with aluminum foil. It doesn't have to fit tightly.
  • Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese on top (optional) and bake for another 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment