Skip to main content

Moist Banana Bread



I love to look at all of the recipes and notes in our Grandma's old recipe book that she started to put together in 1929. I still laugh when I page through it and see all of the hand-written recipes, the little notes and the titles of some of the recipes, such as Date Bread (Mrs. Ness), Francis' Chocolate Cake (oh very good!!), Very Good Gingerbread Mix. So today I thought I would try "Mrs. Erickson's Banana Bread." I don't know who Mrs. Erickson is, but I would say either a neighbor or a church lady. Update: mystery solved, I called Mom and she said Mrs. Erickson was her piano teacher! She also said her house always smelled like baked goods - love it!!
Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sour milk (make this using 1/2 c milk and add 1 tsp white vinegar)
3 eggs
1/2 cup shortening (I used 1/3 cup canola oil instead)
3 overly-ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
There were no instructions except bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, so... these are my instructions - haha!
  • Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. 
  • In another bowl, mix the liquid ingredients. 
  • Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. 
  • Add the mashed bananas and nuts (if you like nuts) and stir. 
  • I use coconut oil to grease my loaf pan and lightly dust it with flour.
Bake at 325F for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick (stick in the top) if it comes out clean, your banana bread is done. Remove from the oven, let cool, remove from pan, slice and serve. Enjoy!
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa