One of our favorite weekend meals is homemade pizza! My recipe makes 2 pizzas. Even if we are dining alone, I still make 2 pizzas and freeze the leftovers for future meals. I use organic ingredients but you can use your favorite ingredients. The first pizza is a taco pizza and the second is Canadian bacon and cheese.
1 1/3 c warm water (about 112F degrees)
1 T yeast
3 c flour
1 T honey
3 T olive oil
- Pour water in a medium bowl, add yeast and honey. The yeast will start to get bubbly after 10-15 minutes. Stir in olive oil and flour - I use a wooden spoon to stir. When the dough is mixed, sprinkle a small amount of flour on your counter or pastry board and knead the dough for a few minutes. It might be a little sticky, keep adding a little more flour but not too much flour. I usually use my fingers and grease my bowl a little so the dough doesn't stick. After you have finished kneading the dough, place it back in the bowl and cover. I love the flour sack dish towels for this. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or until it rises not quite half of the original size.
- Lightly grease your pizza pans with olive oil. Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Divide your dough into 2 balls. Press the dough into your first pan with your hands or use a pizza dough roller. Make the crust as thick or thin as you like. We like ours somewhere in the middle.
- Start layering with your favorite ingredients. I start with pizza sauce. For the taco pizza, you can use brown ground beef, buffalo, or vegan meat crumbles, in a pan over medium heat. Add about 1-2 T chili powder after the meat is cooked. Add a little water, not quite 1/4 cup, let it simmer until most of the liquid is gone. Place meat over pizza sauce.
- Start layering with ingredients such as onions, mushrooms, sliced olives, assortment of red and green peppers, and cheese (colby, cheddar, Parmesan, mozzarella, provolone, Romano are our favorites). Since the children were here and don't like some of the freshly chopped ingredients, I only used meat, olives and cheese for our taco pizza.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven, or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese has melted.
- Add lettuce, salsa, plain yogurt (or sour cream) and crushed tortilla chips before serving. I put these ingredients in bowls and everyone can add as much as they like. Homemade pizza is the best!
~ Simply Tammi