Sunday, April 01, 2012

Mini Vanilla Bean Scones

Sunday morning with a vanilla scone and coffee. I thought I had all of the ingredients but apparently I just looked at the cream in the store and didn't actually buy it - I hate it when I do that! I used Angie's scone recipe but substituted half of the cream with half-n-half. I like this recipe because it doesn't have butter, it just uses the fat from the cream (and the half-n-half). These are quick to make, cost effective (about $.28 a scone), and the taste is awesome! I cut this batch into 16 mini size scones (just in case you want more than one) with this recipe or you can cut them into 8 large scones.
Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup half-n-half and 1/2 cup cream or 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 vanilla bean, slice down the middle and scrape out the inside

I use my Pampered Chef classic batter bowl to mix my scones. Combine and whisk dry ingredients. Mix together in a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup the half-n-half or cream, vanilla and the insides of the vanilla bean.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir.
Sprinkle a small amount of flour on your clean counter top and knead the dough about 10 times. Split the dough in half and pat each half into a 7 or 8 inch circle. Cut in half with a pizza cutter, then cut in half again, then cut like a pie so you will have 8 small wedges from each half if you're making mini scones.
Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake at 350F about 17-20 minutes depending on your oven or until lightly browned.

While they were still a little warm, I added the other half of the vanilla bean into our powdered sugar glaze recipe on our Simply Cinnamon Chip Scones post. If you like a thicker frosting, use a cream cheese glaze recipe found on the Simply Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes post.

After I glazed mine, I sprinkled a little Demerara sugar on the tops for a little crunchiness!
Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/09/2012

    I made these with lemon zest and white choc. chips-they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/25/2013

    I am going to add Vanilla bean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My whole house smells vanilla-y :-) can't wait to dig in tomorrow for breakfast.. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna! This is my absolute favorite scone recipe and flavor. My family and friends love them!

      Delete