Skip to main content

Baked Sweet And Sour Chicken

We rarely go out to eat and never fast food partially because of the prices (thank you Dave Ramsey) and mostly because I'd rather cook myself so I know exactly what we're eating. I must admit as I walk past the Chinese food section at our local grocery store, my eyes are always drawn to my favorites; sweet and sour chicken, orange chicken, and sesame chicken. So I just stand there for a minute, enjoy the aroma and then keep walking. Last night I experimented with a recipe for sweet and sour chicken, I made it gluten free, and it was simply yummy-licious!
Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (I used chicken tenderloins about 8 strips)
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup oil (I used peanut oil but you could use canola or the oil of your choice)
Sauce:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar (loosely packed)
1/4 cup white sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
4 T ketchup (I used a gluten free brand)
1/3 cup vinegar (I used white vinegar)
1 T soy sauce (I used a gluten free brand)
1 T garlic powder
pinch of sea salt
* optional 1/2 cup pineapple chunks

Rinse the chicken and cut into cubes. I put my cornstarch in a bowl, then added the chicken to the bowl, put the lid on and shook it so the cornstarch covered the chicken. Dip the coated chicken cubes into the beaten eggs and place on a plate. It's a little messy so I just piled my chicken on a large plate until all of the pieces were coated with eggs. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat on the stove.
Add the chicken to the pan and cook until the outsides are slightly browned - the chicken will not be entirely cooked (that's ok). Place the chicken in a 9x13 pan (I used an 8x11 because I didn't use the full amount of chicken). To make the sauce, whisk all of the ingredients together and pour over the top of the chicken (the sauce will be rather thin). Place the chicken (uncovered) in a preheated 325F oven. Bake the chicken for an hour but make sure you stir it every 15 minutes. Your sauce will thicken as it bakes. Serve with brown rice, white rice or stir fried rice.

* If you want sesame chicken just add sesame seeds, you can toast about 2 T sesame seeds in about 1-2 T sesame oil or peanut oil for about 2 minutes and add to the chicken before you bake it.

This is absolutely awesome but my favorite part was watching my granddaughter (she has Celiac Disease) smile as she was enjoying every bite! She hasn't been able to eat Chinese food since she was diagnosed and it is one of her favorites. All of my taste testers, even the 4 year old agreed this is better than take-out! Enjoy and be blessed!


Love and peace,
~ Simply Tammi

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma's Bread Pudding and Caramel Sauce

I was trying to think of something for dessert last night and homemade bread pudding was my choice. Our Dad was not a dessert lover but bread pudding was one of his favorites. Our grandma made the best bread pudding, hope you like it! Ingredients : 5 cups slightly dried out bread, any kind. I used Italian bread.  1/4 cup raisins (optional) 2 cups milk 1/4 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 2 eggs 1 T vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon Caramel Sauce Ingredients 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla Directions : Cut the bread in cubes. I cut some of the crust off (on about half of the bread). Place bread into a greased casserole dish or an 11x9 inch pan. Add raisins.  Microwave milk and butter about 4 minutes on 60% power or heat in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slowly add the mixture to the egg and milk and butter

Homemade Goulash

Last weekend I made meals for the freezer. It takes a few hours but this will save you time during the week (in case you have nights like I do when you don't feel like cooking) and your family will love it! I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen (it's called Bobby's Goulash). I used organic ingredients but use the products of your choice. I would have liked to use fresh tomatoes from the garden but my tomatoes weren't quite ready. You can also make it gluten-free by using gluten-free elbow macaroni. It's so tasty - my family loved it! Ingredients : 1 pound ground turkey 1 pound lean ground beef 1 -2 small onions, diced ( I used red onions) 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice 3 cups water 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 T Italian seasoning 3 bay leaves 3 T soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce 1 T seasoning salt course ground pepper to taste 2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked) Putting it together: Brown meat and onions in a lar

Dad's Homemade Peach Cobbler

Peach Cobbler fresh from the oven! One of our favorite desserts is Dad's peach cobbler. This is a recipe that I use when I need a quick dessert. I always have the ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to mix it up. I modified it for gluten-free by making a change to the flour type, just in case you're looking for gluten-free. You can use fresh or frozen peaches, or even canned peaches work. I usually freeze enough Colorado peaches to take me through the seasons so I use those. This recipe makes about 6 servings. Ingredients : 1/3 c butter, melted 1-2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced 1 c sugar (white or organic cane) 1 c all-purpose flour ( or white rice flour for gluten-free ) 1 tsp cinnamon (this is optional, my family loves cinnamon!) 2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp sea salt 1 c milk (I use organic 2%) Directions : Melt butter and pour it into a baking pan, a 9x9 square glass pan works great.  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and sa